Wednesday 3 June 2015

Bose In-Ear headphones have bad cords : Planned Obsolescence

Cord tearing, fraying and disintegrating on the Bose in-ear headphones seems to be a pretty common problem. The rubbery material on the Bose cords ages badly.



As evidenced from the screenshots of various complaints, I am just one among a lot of the company's customers noticing their unethical strategy. The problem is not limited to in-ear headphones alone, it is also quite prevalent on its on-ear models.

It is sad that the company is opting for "planned obsolescence", thereby doing disservice to its founder, whose name "Amar Bose" literally means "Everlasting Bose" ["Amar" is a word of Sanskrit origin, meaning Immortal, Eternal, Forever-lasting.]

[planned obsolescence : a policy of producing consumer goods that rapidly become obsolete and so require replacing, achieved by frequent changes in design, termination of the supply of spare parts, and the use of non-durable materials.]
The rationale behind the strategy is to generate short-term sales volume by reducing the time between repeat purchases (referred to as "shortening the replacement cycle"), until customers catch on and move to another product platform.
No one expects these to last forever, but is  6-7 years in the least too much to ask ?

Here are some pictures of the torn cord on a pair of Bose IE 2 headphones bought in Jan 2012 and used with care (maybe once a week) only at home till June 2015. The headphones still work perfectly as the internal wiring is not affected at all.

For a pair of headphones that cost more than $100, this is a let down - having used it with utmost care and always storing it in the provided case when not in use.

I expected it to last longer, but I guess that Bose is playing the planned obsolescence game. Though I must say that these headphones sound brilliant and its Stayhear tips sit very comfortably in the ear.

I used scotch tape to try and patch up the tear, but after a few days I noticed new tears on the cord below the taped patch. Even a gentle bend in the wire seems to create tears.


A simple search on Google, Twitter & Youtube reveal plenty of complaints over the past year. 




https://twitter.com/CoincidenceNow/timelines/641861023335600130
(about 4 on the same day as the search)



Here are a few of the in-ear headphone complaints just on twitter. In some countries the users have received replacements despite being out of warranty.
Initially I was planning to get a cheaper pair and discard the IE 2. (I am guessing that this is what a vast majority would have done.)

The above screenshots are just a few that could be retrieved using a simple search, from among the company's customers who decide to share a photograph of their headphones. Therefore it is pretty safe to conclude that a statistically significant number of the company's customers have experienced this.

The company seems to have done nothing to correct this obvious problem in future iterations of its model. 

Below : Optimization Test Rig
Accelerated Aging Tests


It is not that they are unaware, given that it is a high technology company. They won't do it as it does not suit their strategy. For all you know, these tests maybe to optimize non-durability - ie: to determine the optimal choice of material that will fail due to aging, after a specified time but not before a specified lower limit (warranty).

I guess they are pretty sure about returning customers, who are addicted to the sound, the brand, the in-shop experience and the feeling of exclusivity.

High quality sound complemented by poor quality non-durable materials : These are by far one of the most comfortable in-ear headphones - the features that define this unique selling point are patented. Hence the company can afford to reduce longevity with the deliberate use of non-durable material, in order to ensure more revenue from returning customers addicted to the experience. 

Over a 1000 patents !
http://products.bose.com/static/patents/index.html



List of patents
Planned obsolescence tends to work best when a producer has at least an oligopoly, protected by patents and armies of lawyers. Before introducing a planned obsolescence, the producer has to know that the consumer is at least somewhat likely to buy a replacement from them. In these cases of planned obsolescence, there is an information asymmetry between the producer – who knows how long the product was designed to last – and the consumer, who does not.

Bose Authorised Service modus operandi


At the local authorized Bose service center, the technician tries to attribute the problem to the weather, wear and tear due to use, not clipping it on while using it ..... etc.

I have handled these headphones with a lot of care, never using them for any sort of exercise and always carefully storing them in the case when not in use. Looking at the complaints, I seem to have been lucky that these head phones lasted 3 years - most of the other complaints are for 6 months to 1.5 years.

I have quite a few other headphones that are older than the Bose IE 2 , cheaper, produce more base, and still work perfectly though I have not been as gentle with them. The only plus point that Bose has over these head phones is that the StayHear silicon tips are very comfortable and easy on the ear. Bose twitter Support says that the New SoundSport headphones are more durable.
Original cost: 5175/- (INR)

I handed them over to the service center where they gave me a receipt and told me that they would contact me with the options.

When they called me up to get my decision, I requested them to email it to me.

I am presented with the following options :
  • Repair cost : 2191/- (guaranteed for 3 months)
  • Exchange option with the same model : 3319/- (guaranteed for 6 months)
  • Trade up option with below models: A 25% discount will be applied
  • Soundtrue IN Ear – 6188/- MRP after discount 4641/- (guaranteed for 1year)
  • Soundtrue Mobile IN Ear – 9338/- MRP after discount 7004/- (guaranteed for 1year)
If I choose the repair option, which is the cheapest, I would get the repaired headphones the next day.

Since these options are presented after formally handing it in to the service center, Bose Corporation reduces chances of the customer deciding not to pay any more money to Bose and taking his business elsewhere. You see, all these options could just as well have been presented to me when I visited them (They were not busy at all, but their protocol requires them to take the product in before suggesting options)

On being asked how they were going to repair it, they gave me a reply that was quite hard to believe, about running it through some kind of machine that totally strips away the existing rubber insulation and replaces it. The jack will be replaced but the inner wire wont, yet the whole cable will be new - I really don't know what to make of this. I asked them if I would get back the same headphones that I had given [This is what the technician told me personally and later confirmed by phone when I sent an email begging a clearer explanation.]

I visited the service center again intending to just take back my headphones as they were working perfectly, except for the cosmetic tears on the rubber sheathing. But since I had already written so much, I again asked them how they were going to repair it if I chose that option.

Repaired or refurbished ? - not truthful or transparent

Will I get my own headphones back after repair?
The technician gave me the same dribble, adding that various parameters would be checked (like impedance etc) before returning the "repaired" product to me, trying to convince me that the repaired product would have the same specification as a new pair of headphones.

Some questions from me :
  1. Where do you "repair" it? -Here
  2. So what exactly are you going to change ? the wire ? will you open the earpiece and solder a new wire ? -We will run it through the machine ...it will remove sheathing....wire will be the same
  3. Will the jack plug be changed?-...different jack plug.... it will check all the parameters... It will go through a manufacturing process....
  4. Do you have this machine here ? -Yes
  5. Can I see it ? -No
  6. The serial number of my headphones is 132H. Will this serial number change ? - Yes
  7. But how is that ? Then how is that "repair"? -.... But we check the parameters....
They probably did not expect me to know about the 4 character alphanumeric code located on each earpiece. Bose has very cleverly limited the serial number on these headphones to 4 alphanumeric characters (possibly representing 4 or more parameters like date of manufacture, batch number, origin etc...). The serial number on mine was 132H. If managed properly this would allow them to pass off refurbished items as repaired items. ie: I do not get my own personal in-ear headphones that I used over 3 years. Instead I get one that was used by someone else for a similar period of time before handing over to the Bose Service Center.


fool me once shame on you
fool me twice shame on me


In-ear head phones, being quite a personal piece of equipment, I am pretty sure that few people will opt for the repair. Most will just want to trade-in or Exchange.

So I got the headphones back without being repaired, in a slightly worse condition than I had handed it to them in.




Jury rigging videos
(makeshift repairs or temporary contrivances)


I had initially hesitated writing about this, out of respect for Amar Gopal Bose - the founder of Bose. He was a Philadelphia-born son of an exile from India’s struggle for Independence.
"At a time when Indians were already making waves in all walks of life, there were no great successes yet in innovation that would put Indians at the top. Amar Bose filled the void and was a true pioneer in that regard. What a great Indian and indeed a genius worthy of adulation everywhere." - Jagdish Bhagwati, University Professor at Columbia University
“The first Indian name to become a household word in America was Bose -- a name soon associated with quality, elegance, fidelity and style, virtues not commonly thought of as Indian. In creating that aura around his name lies Amar Bose's first and most enduring contribution to the community that remains so proud of him." - Shashi Tharoor, India’s minister of state for human resource development and a former New York resident when he was the senior-most Indian in the United Nations.
It is a paradox that Amar Bose (Everlasting Bose) founded a company that now uses planned obsolescence, to shorten product life.

In fact, there is nothing new in this policy - A few decades back excellent Japanese Tape recorders were available, which came with flimsy buttons that would snap off pretty quickly.

Digression : Speaking of paradox, I am reminded of an incident - A decade ago, my father's friend had bought the VCD of a movie called "Tuck Everlasting." While watching the movie for the first time the disk cracked. Coincidentally he had told me about this while referring to observations of paradoxes in names.

Maybe I am being too harsh in my judgement. Bose probably intended for the cords to degrade very quickly out of concern for the environment, which is apparently suffering from a lot of non-biodegradable plastic. But won't this create more waste, increase energy utilization and contribute to more pollution.

It takes years to build up a reputation but just three seconds for it to come crashing down. If it were not for the photographs and complaints on social media, it would have been nearly impossible to get an idea about the planned obsolescence strategy adopted by the privately held company, whose business statistics are relatively hard to get.

It is a funny coincidence that tomorrow is World Environment Day (Friday June 5 2015).

In 2014 Bose revenue was up US$ 2.97 billion. I guess this is how they do it.
Firms that pursue this strategy believe that the additional sales revenue it creates more than offsets the additional costs of research and development and opportunity costs of existing product line cannibalization. In a competitive industry, this is a risky strategy because when consumers catch on to this, they decide to buy from competitors instead.
Link to other articles:

Further explorations :





54 comments:

  1. Keep them in a case when not in use. This doesn’t have to be anything fancy, or even specifically for earphones. The goal is to prevent exposure to debris. A roomy pouch or sack that will prevent the cord from getting crimped, caught or tangled is ideal. Avoid stuffing them into your pants pocket, which is very popular, as excessive rubbing and pulling could damage the cord.


    Andrew@MyHearGear

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read your article and found it very helpful for those who are music lovers and looking to buy the best earbuds out in the market. If you are looking to buy the earbuds then I'd suggest you to take a look at this list of most durable earbuds where you will find the best options for your specific needs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great article! Too bad i hadn't found this before i bought my SoundTrue Ultras. After three months the cable is nearly completely torn. The free headphones that came with my Phone lasted over a year... Wouldn't have bought Bose if i knew this is such an issue with them, considering the price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. I hope you watched the youtube video - Planned Obsolescence by Bose.
      Consumer protection laws should be amended to protect buyers from such practices

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this. Ive just rerurned my soundtrue ultra.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My bose soundtrue IE was found with a few hairline crack today. Used for 2yrs+. Wear & tear. Well taken care. It naturally crack by itself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing this interesting article. This is certainly going to help me in my future earphone purchases. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I own a BOSE SoundTrue ultra for <2 years and there are numerous tears in the rubber sheath. I wish that I had known earlier how flimsy and fragile the materials BOSE use were. Their earphones, while having good music quality, use VERY POOR materials. I am UTTERLY DISAPPOINTED, because my pair of BOSE was given to me by my family as a bday gift and it doesn’t last. I too had taken great care not to mash the wire up or use it for exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so true. I found this post looking for how to repair the sheathing because my Bose earbud cords are trashed -they still work but don't know how much longer without any protection for the wires. I have a pair of Etymotics that I bought in 2007 and they are still a perfect as the day I got them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Same here, I am a fan of Bose products. I bought AE2W on 2015, the sound is great but the cushion started to fell apart after a year. I bought a new cushion from the service center here in Philippines which cost me 2,000PHP! and as expected last only for a year. This year March 2018 I bought again another Bose products, Soundtrue Ultra and Soundtouch 10. After 7 months of using the soundtrue ultra the wire rubber is starting to tear. I am planning to call the service center for the repair today but after reading this blog I decided not to. Right now my Soundtouch10 is in good condition without any updates from Bose. I am afraid that the company will break my Sountouch10 from their updates. This will be my last product from Bose. Farewell "modern thief".

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing your experience and help me to understand the situation further...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am a great fan of your writing style and all the posts of the blog, today I read your blog "Bose In-Ear headphones" and I wanna say you thank for this blog, Keep it.
    indigo throw pillow

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the post and I like the information which you provide in the blog. the entire blog is about the "Ear headphones" and the tips you provide are very impressive.Great work admin.
    Crypto Exchange

    ReplyDelete
  16. HI, all the users, This blog tips and information also brilliant for me, I am going to share it with my facebook friends, Keep it up.

    Furniture in Inwood

    ReplyDelete
  17. i never know the use of adobe shadow until i saw this post. thank you for this! this is very helpful. mountain bike watch

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, You are doing a brilliant job all the TEACHERS for studying deaf children, I appreciate your efforts,GOD BLESS YOU.
    Royal college of physicians

    ReplyDelete
  19. You can buy washable hand made face cover masks at an affordable price through our website https://www.virusmasksupply.com/
    Virus Mask Supply
    High Quality Cloth Masks Made in LA
    Cloth Masks

    ReplyDelete
  20. With Pixie Tunes hands free ear buds for belly share sounds, voice and play music for baby in womb. The headphones for pregnant belly are the best gifts for mom to be.

    For more info. Log on to: - https://pixietunes.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. I know this sounds a somewhat odd inquiry, yet hold on for me, ideally this article will show you exactly how significant the regularly disregarded part of rest is to your general preparing progress.


    best sleeping earplugs


    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi!
    This is Mitsoftwaresolution.
    Mit software solution to helping organization.
    Like leading software installation problems, & we are digital transformation exports with all insights you need to thrive we can help you digitally transform the way you work.
    http://mitss.edu.pk/

    ReplyDelete
  23. SOUTH KOREA: 12, OCTOBER, 2019: New research has revealed that air pollution is now the main cause of hair fall as it may affect the hair growth system.Although experts are still unable to understand the cause of baldness, they may include hereditary effects, genetic factors, and other factors.Now scientists have added polluted air to this list.Professor Hyuk Chul Kwon and his colleagues at the Future Science Research Center in Korea present their findings at the 28th Conference of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology. They say that PM10 particles and diesel fumes in the air reduce the important protein needed for hair growth, which is called B-ta catenon in science.On the other hand, PM10 particles are called particles in the atmosphere floating pollution whose size is less than 10 micrometers.Men and women all over the world, including Pakistan, suffer from hair fall and in the United States alone, 85% of people over 50 appear to complain of hair fall. On the other hand, hair loss from androgenic alopecia is becoming more common in women, and millions of women around the world are being affected.The hair follicles, certain types of cells are found, called 'human follicle dermal papillae cells (HFDPCs). The various particles involved in air pollution affect not only the follicles but also the cells and proteins present.It should be noted that air pollution of particles means that there are different particles and there are vapors of oil and diesel etc.Many of these particles enter the body through the air and cause various diseases.Now in a new study, Professor Huyke has tested PM10, diesel and other densities on HFDPCs.After 24 hours, a clear decrease in several types of protein was observed in the cells.This showed that such contamination could cause hair fall. (04)

    http://onlineindus.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have the same issue. Shame on you #Bose

    ReplyDelete
  25. Integrated online ordering system
    Increase your profits with an online ordering system designed for your restaurant.
    Send fresh food directly to your customers. Your customers are more likely to get what they want when they place orders online their leisure, rather than being rushed into a decision while standing in a queue or waiting on the phone. Epos Technologies provides you with everything you need to generate new revenue streams from online ordering web-shop, whether for delivery or to make it easy for your customers to do ‘click and collect’ pre-ordering of meals. Advance ordering options will let your customers to customise their selections. For example ideal for those who are suffering from any food allergies.

    Online Ordering

    ReplyDelete
  26. EPOS Technologies Limited is a developer, and seller of POS Software solutions. Our mission is to change the future of POS by offering cutting-edge products, produced in total quality control by our expert team. With passion for technological innovation and customer satisfaction we have won the hearts of numerous customers around the world.

    online ordering

    ReplyDelete
  27. Types of dissertation internet sites on-line as you are in addition get admittedly believed as part of your site. airpods vs airpods pro

    ReplyDelete
  28. There are several dissertation internet sites on-line as you are get naturally written about as part of your internet site. airpods ou airpods pro

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your blog post, make my day happy, Good and informative ideas.
    Please admin, I request with you,Please write the next post on the blog topic,"Buy Online Furniture in Fashion Living Room Furniture"
    Thanks.
    Buy Modern Furniture for Bedroom Online

    ReplyDelete

  30. EPOS Technologies Limited is a developer, and seller of POS Software solutions. Our mission is to change the future of POS by offering cutting-edge products, produced in total quality control by our expert team. With passion for technological innovation and customer satisfaction we have won the hearts of numerous customers around the world.
    Online ordering for restaurants
    Online ordering for takeaway
    Click & collect
    Online Ordering

    ReplyDelete
  31. wow bro love your tactics and movement you're a real pro you'll get famous soon may you get fame soon.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8jyXdnaBxHGIfO0hDWKCKQ

    ReplyDelete
  32. "I was not sure what to expect because the class was taught remotely, but I was quite impressed with the entire process. The facility was very professional and there were no problems with connectivity. Our instructor was an expert and was very clear in his method of teaching. All my questions were answered and the class interaction was very good. I would take another course with MIT.

    ReplyDelete
  33. We Provid Best Education In Hyderabad We Have Speclilest TeachersI
    http://mitss.edu.pk/

    ReplyDelete
  34. hi.
    It provides education to the students , with the experienced teaching facaulity .Management institution technology also provide the Bsit , BS Information Technology , BBA ,MBA , Software Engineering . There are so many students who passed out from our institute and now they are working in different organization.
    _http://www.mitss.edu.pk/

    ReplyDelete
  35. Management Institute of Technology also offers students the benefits of intellectual challenge, and to nurture skills
    http://mitss.edu.pk/

    ReplyDelete
  36. Make changes to settings, menus, products prices live.
    Schedule changes for future dates on either indiviual sites, group of sites.
    https://www.epostechnologies.co.uk/self-service-kiosk/

    ReplyDelete
  37. https://www.instagram.com/shees_siddiqui_/?utm_medium=copy_link

    ReplyDelete
  38. If you want to get a chance to play KBC online with a legend host and want to meet other celebrities too you can take part in this wonderful show by recharging your mobile number. If you answer the first question right which will have four options, you’ll win RS 1000. KBC has established a new KBC Lucky Draw 2021 and KBC Lottery winner 2021 for all KBC fans. KBC management will also give you four lifelines. You can use these four lifelines throughout the game. For further details, you can contact us at KBC head office WhatsApp number.
    https://kbconlinewinner.com

    ReplyDelete

  39. Online indus provide comprehensive coverage of Pakistan, breaking news along with
    reporting on current affairs,business, sports,entertainment around the world.

    https://onlineindus.com/

    ReplyDelete
  40. Recharge your sim card or mobile number. KBC is connected with all sim card organizations.
    Your mobile number will register automatically.
    Call on KBC head office number or KBC head office WhatsApp number.
    http://KbcLucky.com

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thinking about getting solar power in sydney. Inspire energy is trusted solar power system installer.Australian solar center value our customers and propose.
    https://australiansolarcentre.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  42. BUY YOUR GOODS is an e-commerce platform by amazon affiliation.
    You can buy your daily use products like beauty, personal care, kitchen products, shoes,
    electronic appliances and many more...
    https://buyyourgoods24.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

  43. HI I AM M.I.T
    We are providing best Education for our Students BS Information Technology, BBA , MBA ,Software Engineering, BSIT, Java Technology,PHP DevelopmentEngineering, BSIT, Java Technology, PHP Development
    http://www.mitss.edu.pk/

    ReplyDelete
  44. E-Commerce, is simply the sale and purchase of services and goods over an electronic medium, like the Internet.#E-Commerce development
    https://696technologies.com

    ReplyDelete
  45. Mann Media Institute is the enterprise’s leader in virtual marketing guides. They have been growing courses to assist students research the capabilities they need to be successful. Whether you're trying to get into the field of virtual advertising, promote a product through Amazon, or find your dream job, MMI INSTITUTE will train you what you want.
    MANN MEDIA INSTITUTE is the most exquisite institute for digital advertising course in Lahore. This institute affords the first-rate schooling and feature the satisfactory school to teach you the way to create your personal website, broaden your social media profiles, and develop your profession in virtual Marketing.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Jackets Junction is a rapidly booming fashion store providing incredible merchandise to style enthusiasts worldwide. We deliver voguish apparel in the most inspiring, aesthetic and affordable way. With Leather being our forte, we also deal in several other alluring textiles that are not only of premium quality but are created with utmost care and standard handcrafting methods. Shop at our store to become a part of the trendsetting generation.
    https://www.jacketsjunction.com/category/tv-series-jackets/yellowstone-jackets-merchandise/

    ReplyDelete
  47. The mic then tells the headphones to make a frequency to mask that of the volume surrounding the wearer.

    ReplyDelete